Are you looking for a Spanish school in Guatemala?
Study Spanish in Livingston!
Casa Iguana Spanish School offers various types of language courses customized for you individual needs and experience. Our well-trained native speaker teachers provide the best and most efficient way to learn Spanish. Come to Livingston and study Spanish with us in two unforgettable locations!
The School has two locations that you can choose from:
The first is a private house right by the Caribbean Sea where you will take your lessons in the shade of palm trees, or in a little cabana next to the swimming pool. We provide accommodation room and board in the house.
The other option is Casa de la Iguana hostel near to the town center, where you can schedule your lessons during the day and enjoy the amazing atmosphere and company of young travelers at night. Food and accommodation is provided in the hostel.
- 3 private rooms with 2 bunk beds (4 people/room)
- 2 shared bathrooms with hot shower
- 3 prepared meals a day (special diets are available upon request)
- Tranquil location, 10 minutes walk from town
- Real Caribbean atmosphere: beach, palm trees, swimming pool, coconuts
- Friendly local caretakers: good opportunity to practice what you learned
- Pure drinking water from a deep well
- Dorm beds, private rooms and private bungalows are available
- Young, sociable atmosphere
- Vibrant night life
- Near to the city center
- Lively and unique local culture
- Prepared meals 7 days a week (special diets are available upon request)
- Hot shower
Based on years of teaching experience, we have developed a variety of language intensive programs. It is of the utmost importance to us that the specific needs and interests of our students are met. Our teachers are professionally certified to teach all levels of Spanish from beginners to advanced students. The lessons are flexible in terms of place and time for your convenience. You can specify your individual needs with your application but you can modify them anytime during the course.
We provide classes individually or in small groups (2-4 person). Classes are generally 4 hours daily (Monday thru Friday, in the morning) with a thirty minute coffee break in between. Afternoon classes are also available upon request.
Spanish for travelers
This program will focus on communicating basic things such as: Checking into a hotel, inquiring about prices, asking directions, order food, arranging travel via a bus, taxi, etc. The goal of this program is to equip you with the skills to engage in polite conversation and obtain the necessary information in order to enjoy your travels through Latin America.
Intensive Spanish Course
This program is designed to take you to the next level. You can begin in this program with zero knowledge of Spanish and end it fluent! You may tailor this program to suit your needs: you may need to focus on grammar, writing, or vocabulary, pronunciation and speaking skills.
Class structure and materials
All materials will be provided by the school. Teaching methods include:
- Written exercises
- Situational games
- Shopping trip, etc.
Prices for residents
Individually: $210.00 USD / 5 nights
In small group (2-4 people): $185 USD/person/5 nights
- Four hours of classes per day (Monday – Friday)
- Learning materials
- Five days lodging including breakfast, lunch, and dinner each day
- Free practice session with local students
- Shopping trip with teacher
Price for non-residents (if you are staying at another location in Livingston)
$125 USD for 25 hours per week
During your stay we will guide you to enjoy the unique atmosphere of the town, which is very different from the rest of Guatemala. Livingston is an amazing place only accessible by boat. This small fishing village is nestled on the Caribbean at the mouth of the Rio Dulce. Despite its size it is home to three distinct cultures; Mayan, Garifuna and Ladino, which creates its uniquely vibrant style of Caribbean atmosphere. It is very laid back so prepare to relax!
The climate is tropical which means it rains quite a lot but mostly at night during summer. During the day temperatures will be around 80s/90s (F) in the summer. Because Livingston is located on the seaside, it benefits from a sea breeze and remains comfortable year round. Sun cream and mosquito repellent are essential items to bring.
Things to do
- You can walk along the beach to Seite Altares (7 alters waterfalls)
- Take boat tours to discover the beautiful Rio Dulce river or to Playa Blanca
- Go fishing in a boat or swimming in the Bay Amatique
- Or just simply relax and get to know the area, the locals or other young travelers
We provide tourist information to help you find the best tours or trips you might be interested in.
How to get here
Livingston is not an island but is only accessible by boat as it is surrounded by jungle.
- From Guatemala City: take the Litegua bus line to Puerto Barrios and catch a boat there to Livingston
- From Belize: take a bus to the border-town, Punta Gorda, and from there a boat to Livingston
- From Honduras: take a shuttle to Puerto Barrios and from there a boat to Livingston
- From Rio Dulce: take the public boat to Livingston
If you would like to book a stay in Livingston fill out the form below or email us at email@example.com.